Translate

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Featured Pohttps://emotionalmed.blogspot.com/2023/06/is-introduction-to-my-pamphlet-entitled.htmlst

This is the introduction to my pamphlet entitled Doing -Thinking -Feeling- In the World and serves as an introduction to this blog. You migh...

Psychology blogs & blog posts

Thursday, April 1, 2010

'Mirroring People"

Mirroring People



Brian Lynch


We have all been with people who are affable and agreeable. They make us feel at ease.


We will now and then get a feeling, however, that something is wrong. You can’t put your finger on it.


Sooner or later and the older we get, the sooner it should be that we understand that the uneasy feeling comes from the person “mirroring” us. They agree with almost anything we say and will often feedback to us exactly what we said, sometimes right away the next day. We are stunned and feel good about it.


But we notice, as time goes on, very little is shared by this person about their own beliefs and desires, and plans. The reason is that they take on the personality and traits of those around them. As we say there is little sense of self.


Some of this is conscious, but most must be unconscious or semiconscious as it is done so consistently and smoothly.


It is whatever the case built on shame. It can be simply annoying or dangerous.


Annoying if the person “simply” needs to be affiliated with you to have some esteem. They never had a chance to develop their talents as probably someone was always blunting them so they learned to avoid the hurt and damage by giving adulation to their caregivers, “humoring them.”


This becomes dangerous when the actions are more conscious and the end of getting something from you.


In this case, it is akin to compulsive lying. “I” am driven to play out a program or script that will get me some emotional satisfaction. Unfortunately the “mark” is only the vehicle to that end. That end is often the excitement of “getting over on someone” or “simply” an avoidance of shame. My shame is so great, my esteem so low that I am driven to not expose anything, or the minimum, about myself. Why? Because I feel I am worthless. Each lie helps accumulate more shame and guilt so I “lie” again, that is I hide my true feelings and I mimic yours. If indeed I have ever had a chance to develop any of my feelings!


Of course, not everyone that does this is such a black-and-white figure. It can be as I said just an irritating trait for the most part. Whatever its degree of intensity it is ultimately from a sense of shame or degradation of self. “I know nothing” is the voice inside. “I am essentially bad.” Even if they say it is the “excitement” they are after, I say they are after the feeling of excitement to block the pain of shame.



No comments:

Post a Comment